Monday, November 10, 2008

Sleep paralysis


“You’ll be lying in bed and you can’t move, you can’t talk"

My god I've experienced this quite a many times and its like some ghost or something sitting on you during sleep. After talking to many friends, doctors and folks back home it known as "Sleep paralysis". This happens especially during the REM part of the sleep (REM - Rapid Eye Movement).

Read more at Wiki. The Nightmare, by Henry Fuseli (1781) is thought to be one of the classic depictions of sleep paralysis perceived as a demonic visitation (above picture).

How to cope with it ? Well I'll say just ignore it and maintain calm. Else read this link.

Also a review from the stanford group.

I guess after the Jaw Locking post this is the most scary thing that I've experienced.

Pic Courtesy Wiki.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Balu!
I never knew this is what I've been going through. Feeling of evil and something controlling is usually strong. This is important. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

You might enjoy the movie "Diving Bell and the Butterfly". Its about something similar called lock in syndrome.

Nice blog.

Balu said...

@Anupama
Lot of ppl actually experience such stuff.. just that they are a tad embarrassed to accept. Once you get to understand things with rationale then I guess we are more comfortable.

@Shilpa
Thanks for dropiing by Shilpa. Its interesting to know about Lock-In syndrome and also about the movie. I'll add that to my next must see list !

Come Again !